Thursday 20 August 2009

Inspiration - Charles Rennie Mackintosh Watercolours

Charles Rennie Mackintosh was one of my earliest inspirations as a designer, and I was pleased when I read that his design for Glasgow School of Art had been voted the "Stirling of Stirling's" (or best building of all the buildings voted best building):

http://www.hughpearman.com/2009/12.html

However, it seems to me that while his buildings are admired and people now have pencil cases and coffee mugs with his designs on (what is it with stained glass too?), his painting is overlooked. I absolutely love the watercolours he produced later in his life, so thought I should post a few on here.



















6 comments:

  1. I've never seen his paintings before - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these have obviously been well hidden, there amazing.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received a print of one of his harbour scene watercolours as a gift many years ago - I love the stylised way in which he draws the rock formations and the rippled water..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just seen that first painting at the Laing Art Gallery in Newcastle! Wanted to share on my blog the two paintings I liked (the other was Figure of Guinevere by William Morris). Will bookmark this page! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I had no idea he paint this much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, you’re such an inspiration. I love this blog!

    ReplyDelete